Tuesday, November 12, 2013

REVIEW: The Fearless Defenders, Volume One: Doom Maidens

PLOT: New team! New villains! New creators! Valkyrie and Misty Knight are the Fearless Defenders, and not since Power Man and Iron Fist has an unlikely duo kicked this much - well, you know.

REVIEW: In preparing to write a review for this book, I have discovered that this title has since been cancelled by Marvel and will end with the twelfth issue. What the hell are you guys thinking?! This is easily one of the best titles that I've read out of Marvel NOW!, most of which are pretty awful, and this is the one that's been cancelled over multiple other offenders? I'm really sad to say that Marvel doesn't quite know what quality is, because when I read the other more "popular" titles, I can't believe they're even being written. Captain America and Deadpool are about the only two characters that haven't been ultimately ruined by Marvel NOW!, and it's a shame to see that this third candidate for greatness will be no more. I am not familiar with these characters, so that may be why I was so pleased, but I thought the book was awesome. Valkyrie and Misty Knight are cool heroines which Marvel has so few of, and this book is not afraid of anything. There's a decapitation, lots of censored curses, and chicks kicking the living crap out of everything that threatens them. I liked seeing the assembly of a lot of the female characters in the Marvel Universe, and it's a damn shame to see a title that showcases these heroines in such a bad ass light, be shut down. I would say if you're a fan of the darker side of Marvel, and the more Asgardian-like characters and stories, this is definitely for you. Fans of female-centric comics will also really enjoy this, as I barely remember a dude in the book at all. I'm also starting to discover that I have very heavy metal tastes, because if the book has blood, magic, and epic wars with warriors in elaborate armor illustrated on the page, I'm automatically sucked in. Also, the covers are freaking awesome as hell.

WRITING : ( 8 / 10 )
ARTWORK : ( 9 / 10 )
STORY : ( 7 / 10 )
COVERS : ( 10 / 10 )
AWESOME : ( 8 / 10 )
FINAL RATING : ( 8 / 10 )

No comments:

Post a Comment