Thursday, June 13, 2013

REVIEW: Star Trek Into Darkness

PLOT: After the crew of the Enterprise find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

REVIEW: 4 years ago I was sitting in a movie theater catching the trailer for Star Trek directed by J.J. Abrams in front of a movie I'm sure I was excited as all hell to see. Watching that trailer, I know that I was sitting there laughing and mocking that a film was being made to reboot the franchise on screen. The trailer was packed full of action and intensity, and thought for sure there wasn't anything left for the film to deliver. I was mighty wrong at the time, and when I finally saw the movie and was able to have a fair opinion, I was blown away. Abrams had taken a television show that I only watched as a kid after hours because there was nothing else on a non-cable TV, and turned it into a hot commodity again. Now imagine my excitement for Star Trek Into Darkness after having been so pleasantly surprised by its predecessor, and you will understand my expectations for it. For me this was the first big blockbuster of the summer, and it most definitely held to the expectations. I was really happy getting to see this on the big screen, and I absolutely cannot wait to watch it again mainly for Benedict Cumberbatch's villain but there are plenty of reasons to want to see this again.


All of the main cast is back, which was a welcome sight as I thought for sure they'd be missing at least one important piece if a return trip on the Enterprise was to come to fruition. Chris Pine returns as Captain Kirk and does another passable job as one of the franchise's titular heroes. Chris Pine emerged onto the scene after the first Star Trek film and I can't say that he has impressed me much outside of said role. He seems like a fairly typical actor, one that could be replaced at the drop of a hat, but he is great as Kirk under pressure. He captures the intensity of a captain that would do anything for his crew, and his ship, in either order. Zachary Quinto returns as well to play Spock, and still is just as impressive as before. I was always a fan of Quinto's work on Heroes as the main villain of the show, and even his turns in small movie roles or other shows like American Horror Story. He can definitely get the job done, and had you asked me who should play Spock before I could have never told you. Now, I'd have no other suggestion other than him, because he seems so perfectly fit for the role and does an outstanding job acting it.

Also returning was Zoe Saldana as Uhura, Spock's new girlfriend, and turns in a great moment or two towards the beginning of the movie with her newfound love. There is an unusual chemistry between the two, even though they are two completely different characters and actors as well. Karl Urban is back as Bones, and seems to provide a lot of the great, perfect moment punchlines in Star Trek Into Darkness. I think where Spock's schtick became expected and not as funny as it was the first time around, Bones' sense of humor solidified and became the comic relief in this sequel. Simon Pegg, one of my favorite actors because of my favorite film Shaun of the Dead, is back as Scotty in limited time, as well as John Cho as Sulu. Anton Yelchin is again hilarous as Chekov, and gets to take Pegg's dropped on screen time for himself and makes the most of it. And last but not least, the voice himself Mr. Bruce Greenwood is back for the second round.


With such a large cast of returning talent, one wonders what new people they could bring on board that are going to really bring something new to the franchise. So they pick up Benedict Cumberbatch, recently popularized from his portrayal of Sherlock Holmes on BBC's Sherlock (which is bloody brilliant by the way, check it out). Cumberbatch stands out as Star Trek Into Darkness' best, and plays an incredible dual villain/hero type that so easily draws the viewer in. His cold demeanor but overflowing intelligence give you an easy but unsettling feeling as you discover more and more about him throughout the story. Kirk and crew's first encounter with him in enemy territory is freaking awesome, and who knew Cumberbatch could come off as such a bad ass, which he does with ease in said scene. Also new to the crew is Alice Eve, who plays a fairly significant role in the film and of course is never hard to look at on screen. She for some reason reminds me of one of my most hated actresses, Nicole Kidman, but I really do enjoy seeing her in films.

J.J. Abrams again turns in a phenomenal product as he did with the first Star Trek, and really left me wanting a third film to complete what would be a very epic trilogy. The special effects in Star Trek Into Darkness are obviously great, and the music is well done indeed. The movie doesn't let up once it starts, much like the first, and it keeps up with it as well. I pretty much got exactly what I expected out of it, and I can't complain or whine for any more than what I was given. There was a classic moment retold, and a great villain constructed at the hands of a sci-fi storytelling master. Tons of great moments to cheer for the Enterprise, and just as many to question the motives of the movie's main villain. Oh yeah, and seeing future Spock again was of course absolutely entertaining.

ACTING : ( 7 / 10 )
STORY : ( 8 / 10 )
EXECUTION : ( 8 / 10 )
POSTER : ( 9 / 10 )
AWESOME : ( 9 / 10 )
FINAL RATING : ( 8 / 10 )

No comments:

Post a Comment