Wednesday, July 24, 2013

REVIEW: Hellblazer, Volume Three: The Fear Machine

PLOT: In THE FEAR MACHINE, John Constantine looks for a way to reconnect to humanity -- but how can such a man ever find inner peace? Constantine finds himself encamped with a new-age pagan group that's tapping into their own psychic abilities -- but a defense contractor is out to exploit their powers. Is the company's aim just political, or is it something much more sinister?

REVIEW: Honestly, I'm not really sure what to say about Hellblazer anymore. This is the third volume I've tried to read and it seems to me they get longer and longer. Not only that, it's just incredibly boring. I can't believe that something with such a high concept and plenty to strive for, could be so insanely dull it's a pain to read through each page. I mean, The Fear Machine has all of the right components for a crazy good story. But instead, it's nearly 250 pages of Constantine's dreadfully dreary and wordy thoughts, and just when you think the story is about to pick up, the issue you're reading ends and it starts all over again the next issue. You could cut out half of these issues by just shutting John's inner monologue up for like two seconds, and maybe your story would have some traction to hold on to. I'm not sure who is a fan of the Hellblazer series but I'm pretty interested as to what it was that compelled Hollywood to make a film, and what part of this series are people actually fans of? Surely not this beginning stretch, at least I would hope, because they are some of the most painfully difficult to read comics I've ever read and I'd like to say I've read quite a few at this point in my life. I don't need to know Constantine's thoughts on the wind blowing. I don't need the thoughts of every character on the page. Oh, and get on with the sodding story already you twits. It takes 8 issues to tell a story that could have been told equally as well and probably better with another writer, in 5. I hate to be so hateful, but I'm a fan of the rule you get three strikes and you're out. So Constantine, I think you're out until I can get my hands on the New 52 version, because Hellblazer is so not fun it hurts.

WRITING : ( 4 / 10 )
ARTWORK : ( 7 / 10 )
STORY : ( 6 / 10 )
COVERS : ( 5 / 10 )
AWESOME : ( 2 / 10 )
FINAL RATING : ( 4 / 10 )

No comments:

Post a Comment