Wednesday, September 11, 2013

REVIEW: Doctor Who: The Monsters Inside

PLOT: The TARDIS takes the Doctor and Rose to a destination in deep space - Justicia, a prison camp stretched over seven planets, where Earth colonies deal with their criminals. While Rose finds herself locked up in a teenage borstal, the Doctor is trapped in a scientific labour camp. Each is determined to find the other, and soon both Rose and the Doctor are risking life and limb to escape in their distinctive styles. But their dangerous plans are complicated by some old enemies. Are these creatures fellow prisoners as they claim, or staging a takeover for their own sinister purposes?

REVIEW: After having read the first book of the Doctor's New Series Adventures, I sort of knew what to expect from The Monsters Inside, which is the second book. Again, I wasn't all too impressed with the story that was told, and it's not entirely fault of the story itself. The writing in these books is very simple, and the books could each serve as a base script to an episode. It's really hard to get a grasp on the setting of the events being detailed, because there is little to no description. I liked this story a little more because it didn't take place in the past like The Clockwise Man did, but instead in the future and with Slitheen monsters. I'm familiar with these creatures already having watched the show, so that made this book that tad bit better for me. It was entertaining, and though the Doctor and Rose are separated I knew they would find a way to get back to each other. I feel what these stories lack is real despair, or descriptive environments and events to draw the reader in. Had I never seen the show, I would have put either one of these first two books down before I read 50 pages, so if you haven't seen the show I wouldn't recommend picking up this series.

RATED : ( PG )
WRITING : ( 4 / 10 )
STORY : ( 5 / 10 )
COVER : ( 4 / 10 )
AWESOME : ( 4 / 10 )   
FINAL RATING : ( 4 / 10 )

No comments:

Post a Comment