Monday, August 19, 2013

REVIEW: Deadpool, Volume One: Dead Presidents

PLOT: Dead former United States presidents, from George Washington to Gerald Ford, have been resurrected--and that's bad. The Marvel heroes can't be the ones to stop them...someone is needed with the reputation, skills and plausible deniability to take out these com-monsters in chiefs. Deadpool time is NOW! Be here as Deadpool de-un-deadifies ex-Presidents left and right...matching wits with Tricky Dick Nixon, fighting a grudge match against Honest Abe Lincoln, and battling Ronald Reagan--in space! Do you need more than that?! Fine, then: monkeys! And maybe Dr. Strange if you're good! This is the Deadpool series you will marry someday! In Wade We Trust!

REVIEW: Deadpool rules. I've always been a fan of character through growing up and collecting Marvel cards, but this is the first actual book I've read for the character. I have to say I'm extremely impressed and I'm so glad it came from Brian Posehn and Gerry Duggan. I'm a huge fan of Posehn's stand up and comedic work, as well as his scene getting shot in the head in The Devil's Rejects. When I saw that he wrote this I just knew he was the heavy metal mind that would be perfect for Deadpool. I wasn't wrong. Everything about Deadpool is straight adult, and I loved every second of it. There was tons of blood and gore, and Deadpool is caught putting his intestines back into his stomach on more than one occasion. Also, the language and just overall feel on the panels is very bloody and bold but that's exactly what Deadpool is supposed to be. I particularly like the small strip where he makes a comment to you as the reader, and the characters in the book ask him who he's talking to. Him being self-aware and comedically present in every single panel is just highly entertaining. The Merc with a Mouth is never short on sarcastic comments and funny observations, and that's just one of many reasons I love this book and this character. Deadpool is a professional at being a dick, and just loves to be a pain in the ass of everyone in the Marvel universe. This is the guy that most people hate to love, but I love to love this character. Couldn't have been more pleased with this Marvel NOW! book, as it's now my favorite. Deadpool head to head against the dead presidents of the United States? Sold.

WRITING : ( 9 / 10 )
ARTWORK : ( 9 / 10 )
STORY : ( 9 / 10 )
COVERS : ( 9 / 10 )
AWESOME : ( 10 / 10 )
FINAL RATING : ( 9 / 10 )

No comments:

Post a Comment