Thursday, August 1, 2013

REVIEW: The Strain, Volume One

PLOT: When a Boeing 777 lands at JFK International Airport and goes dark on the runway, the Centers for Disease Control, fearing a terrorist attack, calls in Dr. Ephraim Goodweather and his team of expert biological-threat first responders. Only an elderly pawnbroker from Spanish Harlem suspects a darker purpose behind the event - an ancient threat intent on covering mankind in darkness! Adapting the first novel from Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan's The Strain, this horrifying first chapter deals with an outbreak of diabolical proportions that puts a terrifying twist on the vampire genre.

REVIEW: Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan's The Strain is easily one of my favorite books of all-time, and had it not been for that book I probably wouldn't be back into reading as much as I am now. I always wanted to read vampire fiction when I was a teenager but I couldn't ever find something that appealed to me as a boy, or as a younger reader. I'm not a fan of fancy language, nor romances, so it's hard to find something like that in the vampire genre. I read the book merely based off the fact that it was co-written by my favorite film director of all-time, who has had one of the best vampire films made in Blade II. I find that The Strain furthers his vampire lore on its own new world, and it was part of the reason I especially liked it. The book is written much in the form a film would unravel and that was a big reason as well that I really liked it. But considering I love the actual book, of course my opinion will be a little biased. I'm not all that impressed by the art in this book, and I don't find the illustration of the vampire's stingers anywhere near what I saw in my imagination when reading the book. It's a very cartoonish way to illustrate something I saw as very dark and serious, but it works all the same I suppose because it is a comic. The story is just about the same, and I can't see that the adapting authors have taken any liberties with the story, which is always a plus. I'd definitely recommend this to horror fans, and considering this is a graphic representation of the book, it can be quite graphic. This graphic novel is definitely for adults, vampire fans, and fans of the book alike.

WRITING : ( 7 / 10 )
ARTWORK : ( 5 / 10 )
STORY : ( 8 / 10 )
COVERS : ( 9 / 10 )
AWESOME : ( 8 / 10 )
FINAL RATING : ( 8 / 10 )

No comments:

Post a Comment