Tuesday, August 27, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: They're Goin' Fast!

This weekend sees the first weekend of what I would consider the end of summer, as all of the blockbuster hits have now hit the theaters. Now as we shift into the fall season, our movies shift into wannabe blockbusters and straight up crap. There isn't a whole lot on the menu for this weekend except for a couple of subpar movies, at least as far as I can tell. There is the heavily advertised Closed Circuit releasing tomorrow on a Wednesday, which touts rave reviews in its commercials, but one probably couldn't find the positive blurbs in a review online with a magnifying glass. Brian DePalma's Passion will also be out in limited release this weekend, but hasn't really received the greatest of praise either. There are two big hits this weekend though, which I guess could still consider this weekend a summer movie weekend. First, is the music documentary One Direction: This Is Us which probably already has lines of teenage girls waiting outside of theaters and skipping school for the entire week just to see (probably not actually). I couldn't care less about this concert film from One Direction, because I know there is only one direction for this boy band to head in the next 5 years, and that is down. I don't need to know who you are through the lens of a biased view, most likely yourselves, when you can tell that most of you are not that kind of people girls and boys should be looking up to. The other film releasing this weekend is Getaway with Ethan Hawke which has had some buzz surrounding it because of his co-star, Selena Gomez. Gomez has been trying to shift into more adult roles since her departure from the Disney network, and has had a big year in film but not really the most well received. I watched Spring Breakers the other day and it wasn't a great movie at all, but she also wasn't in it that much and she wasn't particularly the wild girl everyone was all worried that she would be. She played the more reserved girl of the four, and I'm sure Getaway will also show that she still has too much innocence about her to start getting all evil on us now, but only time will tell. This week's list is inspired by the release of Getaway, and I will count down my top ten favorite car movies. There's some great ones that I'm sure I haven't seen, and there are going to be some about cars, and some about the people who drive them. This is my list, vroom vroom!

10. Jeepers Creepers (2001)

Because I had to riddle my list with horror films, there are seemingly a lot of movies that came to mind when I thought of cars and horror together. The Hitcher, both remake and original, came to mind but didn't quite make the cut, though I enjoy them both equally. Jeepers Creepers however was one of those films that looks like a run of the mill scary movie, but really creates its own mythos in the real world that can really get under your skin, like The Creeper can. The title doesn't really do any justice to this film, as it's really one of the scariest and most original horror blockbusters I've seen since the year 2000. Also, Justin Long stars along with Gina Philips, and Long now predominately being a comedian, it's funny to see him in this more serious type of role. They are road tripping through the country when they believe that they have seen a man dump a body into a well, or a hole, and decide to investigate. Once they do, it kicks off the chase of the film, with The Creeper using his creepy beat-up truck to chase them down for what they've done. Even though our two main characters have a vehicle in the film, there's a lingering feeling of danger even though they're capable of escape on wheels. Any film that makes you feel as if the horrors are inescapable, even if your protagonists have an automobile, has to be a great horror film.

9. Death Proof (2007)

I really wasn't a fan of Death Proof when it first came out in unison with Planet Terror when it was all titled Grindhouse and part of the same movie. Then I saw the director's cut edition of Death Proof and I enjoyed it much more. It truly is the revival of Kurt Russell and his rough, gruff character that he seems cut out to play, but it never really took off for him after that. Two separate groups of girls fall victim to Stuntman Mike and his Death Proof car, but the latter of the two fights back and shows that Stuntman Mike himself, may not be death proof. I really do love the story, however gruesome it may be, that a stunt car driver has a car rigged up to be completely safe for him, but extremely dangerous for a passenger. It's a truly demented thought, a driver that executes his victim from behind the wheel while they're actually in the car, or I guess could be out of it as well. When Mike meets his match, it's a group of death proof girls that find a way to take Mike and his car down once and for all. This is written and directed by Quentin Tarantino, so the director's cut has dialogue in abundance, but once it gets to the action it is well worth it. It's also, obviously, a Tarantino movie, so expect lewd conversation, crude humor, and plenty of blood and violence because it's all there.

8. Joy Ride (2001)

I had a friend that always told me about this film and how much I would like it. I never saw it because I'm not a big Paul Walker fan, though I do enjoy Running Scared and actor/comedian Steve Zahn quite a bit. I didn't really know that it was what it was until someone explained it to me, someone being my friend, and how it sort of is a horror movie. When I finally saw it, my oh my, it's definitely a horror film but also functions as a really good suspense thriller, which is what it is typically classified as. When a group of three friends on a road trip decide to mess with a trucker over a CB radio, they find it could have been the worst idea they've ever had. When the trucker is looking for a girl, they decide to play with him and become Candy Cane, the trucker's girl of his dreams. The trucker seemingly only wants some lovin', but when he finds out that a group of three people were really playing a game with him, the real game begins. He then chases them in their car, from his semi-truck, and puts them through a grueling series of tests and tasks to get revenge on them. It's really a great suspense film, and definitely a good film for horror fans to check out if they've never seen it. What was supposed to be a Joy Ride, turns into a nightmare on wheels.

7. Christine (1983)

The famous car that kills! Christine is one of the several tales from Stephen King that was adapted for film, this one in particular was made during the 80's. It's about a car that young kid buys to have a new, cool car, but it turns out to be something else entirely. Christine has a mind of her own, and she's not a car that plays nice. As Christine unveils her evil ways throughout the film, Arnie, who purchased the car, starts to adopt the car's behavior and personality. It gives him what he wants, because he becomes the badass personality that he never could have been without the new car. This was the reason for getting the car, but as things start to get out of hand it becomes apparent that no one can stop the car. It all sounds very silly in theory, but Christine will actually make you think twice about the next time you see a dormant car on the side of the road at night, especially a clunker or a classic. It's a completely plausible concept now too with the way technology is that a car could have a mind of its own, but when this car turns on the headlights you better know to run the other way. The first movie on the list to sport a classic car, is also a classic film, especially in the horror genre and it's highly recommended.

6. Speed Racer (2008)

The first film for the brothers Wachowski after creating one of science fiction's most decorated films, as well as one of the most thought provoking films still today in The Matrix, was the live action adaptation of Speed Racer. To keep with the cartoon style of the obvious cartoon it was based on, they used a lot of green screen and bright, vivid colors to create the world of Speed. The film wasn't really well-reviewed when it came out in the theaters, so I avoided it even though I was interested to see it. Then when it was released on video I was able to check it out with my free rentals when I worked at Blockbuster. What I saw blew my mind, visually and emotionally because I still don't understand to this day why this movie was bashed by the critics. First of all, it's a family movie and you're not going to receive some ultimate concept or thought-provoking idea in a Speed Racer whether it's directed by the Wachowskis or anyone else. What it does provide is a great story of a tight-knit family and how they deal with the stresses of loss and betrayal, and family matters from here to there. I think the overall story of the film, and the lessons taught are brilliant, and it's all wrapped up in a beautiful package. Yeah it may be mostly CGI that holds this movie together, and it's corny at times with the cartoon-like action, but it's truly a brilliant film in my opinion. The car races are out of this world too, and if you have a Blu-ray player this is definitely a title worth purchasing for your machine. With the bright colors, fast-paced races, and zany action, you're going to be amazed at just how compelling a futuristic children's racecar movie can be.

5. The Italian Job (2003)

Another movie I never wanted to see because I used to really dislike Marky Mark, The Italian Job is a remake of the 1969 film of the same name. I can't say that I've seen the original, but I finally did check out the remake because it starred my favorite actor, Edward Norton. It's kind of a bummer that he's not in it as much as the other stars like Mark Wahlberg and Jason Statham, but it's still a good action movie all the same. It's also one of the better heist movies, as that is essentially what it is. It comes to the point though where this heist can only be pulled off if they use Mini Coopers, which were just being released in a common market about the time this movie came out. I remember after this movie, seeing a lot of Mini Coopers on the road and it had to have been the slick car chase action that got this trend going for a couple of years after its release. This movie also has one of the greatest car chases, or car scenes, of all-time. It's a chase so well liked that even my local amusement park that is now Cedar Fair Amusements, but used to be owned by Paramount, had a ride that was for the movie and sat you in little Mini Cooper cars and shot you around a stunt track that resembled familiar scenes from the movie.

4. Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000)

Some of you know by now that I have a strong dislike for Nicolas Cage, however, there are some films that I really appreciate his horrible acting in. There's not a single movie that Cage is in that I think he acts it well, but sometimes his one-way delivery and quirky acting can really benefit a character in a movie. Gone in Sixty Seconds is one of those films, and it's a remake of a 1974 film with the same name. I remember liking this film at the time because I was into model cars, and Nicolas Cage has to steal 50 cars in one night to save his brother's life. He hires a team to help him do it, one of those people being Angelina Jolie, and there is one car that evades the team because of how rare and awesome it is. It was a 1969 Shelby Mustang GT500 that they had the most trouble in finding, and I had just built a model car of the same exact car when the movie came out. I had a bit of an obsession about it, but I did really enjoy the movie. I even sold my copy after awhile when the model cars became less of an interest, and I discovered how truly awful Cage's acting i]was. But once I saw the movie again at an older age, I saw how awesome the movie truly was and how many really cool cars you get to see stolen in the film.

3. Days of Thunder (1990)

If you don't like Tom Cruise, you're probably really going to disagree with me here but Days of Thunder is easily one of my favorite Tom Cruise movies and it's because this one is all about horsepower baby. Cole Trickle is the young racer coming up in the ranks of the pros, and he gets his chance to become one of the greatest racers in the game. A film directed by the late Tony Scott, it really was a great drama to analyze the career of an athlete after he goes from the hottest thing on the track, to the lowest thing off the track. I really like Days of Thunder because of Cruise's eccentric acting that really sells the youth in stardom role he is playing, and it's extremely entertaining too. You don't have to be a fan of NASCAR to enjoy this film, but it definitely has some loud engine moments as there's plenty of racing to be had. If you don't like Cruise, then you can get out, but I highly recommend Days of Thunder to anyone who hasn't seen it, because in my opinion it really is that great of a movie. This isn't the only Tom Cruise movie though to make my list this week. Also, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby is a pretty direct parody of this film, and is also worth watching but was omitted from the list due to lack of actual car scenes and is mostly spoof of Days of Thunder.

2. Collateral (2004)

I'll never forget my mom taking me to the theater to see this film when it came out because it had Tom Cruise in it, and I really wanted to see it because it had Jamie Foxx in it, but it was rated R. We both got what we wanted from our respective actors, but I think we also were surprised by each other's actors in the process. This was one of those movies that blew me away the first time I saw it, with how great it was and how great the actors were in it. It's a really suspenseful film, and mostly all of it either takes place in the cab or somewhere that Foxx has driven them in the cab. Cruise plays a hitman who traps Foxx, the cab driver, into taking him around town and being his driver in a sequence of hits that piles up the bodies and gets them into trouble. The two actors were great together in this film and Foxx was even nominated for an Academy award for his role in the film. Directed by Michael Mann, this pulse-pounding thriller was a huge surprise to film goers and was also one of the better suspense thrillers to come out of last decade. The soundtrack for the film is on point, the car scenes are suspenseful, and every last bit of action between Foxx and Cruise is intense. I highly recommend Collateral to all that haven't seen it.

1. The Fast and the Furious (2001)

The definitive car movie of my generation, and now series, is The Fast and the Furious. There are now six films in the series, and there are more on the way I'm sure as they continue to add big names to the series and have used Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson to re-energize the franchise back into success. They are huge money makers, but there is a reason for that. These films are probably the most straight forward about cars, for cars, and for people who love cars. You see cars in these films that you never knew could exist before then, and though it's a fictional movie with mostly non-fictional cars, it's all in a reality based world. I loved the first film, and the race scene when Paul Walker's character first gets into the illegal street racing scene is one of the best car scenes of any film. Pop this film into a Blu-ray player and play that scene on repeat and I'd be a happy camper. I really don't feel that there is any movie out there that even comes close in starring downright bad (bad in a good way) cars alongside so-so action stars to create an explosion of manly awesomeness. Ask any car buff if they've seen these movies, and they'll usually say yes. They're not the greatest of films, but they're highly entertaining, and if cars can give you thrills, these are the ones you're looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment